Bolster & Slide Plates
Bolster & Slide Plates
Bolster and slide plates are essential components in the machinery industry. They play a critical role in operating many types of equipment, including stamping presses, injection molding machines, and die-casting machines. Bolster plates are thick, flat plates that provide a foundation for the machine’s moving parts, while slide plates are flat plates that provide a smooth surface for the machine’s sliding components.
DETCO is considered a leader in bolster and slide plates due to their years of experience and ability to handle tight tolerances with the ability to surface grind bolster plates up to 48” W x 144” L. Our bolster plates are used in a wide variety of Press applications such as Hydraulic Stamping and Hydro-Forming Presses, as well as Press Transfer Systems.
- For slide plates, materials such as Rulon® and Turcite® are often used.
- Rulon® is a high-performance polymer that provides a low-friction surface for sliding components. In addition, it is known for its excellent wear resistance and self-lubricating properties.
- Turcite® is a polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) composite material that is self-lubricating and offers a low-friction surface for sliding components. Both Rulon® and Turcite® are ideal for use in machinery where low-friction and wear resistance are critical. Additionally, some slide plates may be made from steel or bronze, depending on the specific application.
- DETCO manufactures bolster plates from Aluminum, Cast Iron, A36, 4140, or 1045 steel
- Used in a wide variety of Press applications such as Hydraulic Stamping and Hydro-Forming Presses, as well as Press Transfer Systems
- Blanchard or surface ground
More Information on Bolster & Slide Plates
Contact us today about your bolster & slide plate needs!
Factors to Consider When Choosing Bolster and Slide Plates
Choosing the right type of bolster and slide plate that is best for a particular application will depend on factors such as the load capacity, durability, size and dimensions, and cost factors. By choosing the appropriate bolster and slide plate type, operators can ensure that their machinery operates safely and efficiently, resulting in higher-quality products and increased profitability. Let’s look at these factors in more detail below.
- Load Capacity
- One of the most important factors to consider is the load capacity of the bolster and slide plates. The plates must be strong enough to support the weight of the tooling and the workpiece without bending or deforming under the pressure of the press. Therefore, the load capacity will depend on the size and weight of the workpiece, as well as the required pressing force.
- The durability of the bolster and slide plates is also a key factor to consider. The plates must withstand the repetitive and often high-pressure stresses of the press or stamping operation without cracking, warping, or deforming. Materials such as cast iron, steel, or aluminum are often used for strength and durability.
- Size and Dimensions
- The size and dimensions of the bolster and slide plates must be carefully matched to the size of the press and the tooling. The plates must fit properly within the press and provide enough surface area to secure the tooling and workpiece. In addition, the plates must be thick enough to support the required load capacity without being too heavy to handle.
- The cost of the bolster and slide plates is also an important consideration. The plates must be affordable within the available budget while providing the necessary load capacity, durability, and size. Factors such as the type of material, manufacturing process, and plate thickness can all affect the cost of the plates.
By considering these factors carefully, operators can choose the right bolster and slide plates for their press or stamping operation, ensuring that the machinery operates safely and efficiently, with high-quality results.